We are currently looking for EXPERIENCE SENIOR INTERIOR DESIGNER to lead our Retail Project in Jeddah Saudi Arabia. Minimum of 6 years design and on site experience, able to read and write in English Fluently, a valid Passport THIS IS A MUST, preferred able to speak Arabic (this is a plus not a must).
A Senior Designer is responsible for producing high quality project design deliverables in both FF&E and construction documents. A Senior Designer can work on any/all phases of development including Pre-Design, Schematic Design, Design Development, Construction Documents and Construction Administration. They report to the Job Captain or Project Manager on tasks and deliverables and work directly with him/her to ensure the facilitation of a project’s completion; on-time, on/under-budget, and meets ILLY DESIGNS’s quality standards. In one or a combination of areas of expertise, a Senior Designer has a high level of mastery in Construction Documentation and/or Concept Development/Selections.
* Consistently bringing great, fresh ideas to the team that are project appropriate, captures the look and attitude and articulates why they feel it meets the needs.
* Knows how to develop vignettes and hand sketches of architectural and FF&E ideas that work in the space and meet intended design goals – and then articulates ‘why concepts work’ to the team, by using sound logical reasoning that is convincing.
* Has a well-developed eye for scale and balance, designing elements that ‘fit’ the space for maximum impact.
* Can readily capture the intended ‘look and attitude’ that reflects branding and positioning; with architecture, color, finish materials, FF&E – and articulates “why concepts work” to the team using a sound, logical reasoning.
* Can differentiate the needs of different ‘styles’ and ‘looks’ and deliver those styles without letting personal preferences impact choices.
* Designs ‘around corners’ not just major areas - so spaces flow consistently, areas tie together for maximum impact and secondary focal points are established and used to build upon the underlying ‘story’ and attitude.
* Regularly follows trends in Hotels, Architecture and Interior Design so that own work and ideas are of an ‘International’ caliber as well as sophistication level.
* Follows trends in Hospitality so they can incorporate the latest technology and operational needs by reading trade magazines.
* Is highly skilled in ‘Lighting’ as a design element, knows how to use lighting and shadows for drama and impact. Regularly follows lighting magazines to watch for new trends and applications and fixtures. Introduces new ideas and approaches in concepts.
Implementation / Project Production Team Member:
* Ensures that s/he is working at maximum quality and efficiency for his/her assigned tasks and deliverables; maintains billable efficiency rate of 80%
* Accepts and performs responsibility for redlines of delegated work and/or a complete package of deliverables (e.g. a “Guestroom Set”), as may have been assigned based on his/her level of knowledge and expertise
* Maintains a daily task list for assigned projects discussing time allotments and schedules, and delegations.
* Assists project teams to insure delays are adequately documented.
* Prepares for regular project team meetings pertaining to project tasks, deliverables, and milestones
* Actively produces/outputs high-level tasks and deliverables on multiple projects.
• Construction Documents:
Independently, can take an approved set of SD documents, which include a conceptual space plan of key public areas, furniture plan of key public areas, key area RCP and key elevations and then move forward to develop a final set of production documents that meet or exceed ILLY DEESIGNS standards of quality.
These drawings include:
* Finished Floor Plans – tagged/keyed and noted for all areas - developed as required for final approval.
* Furniture Plans all areas including major public areas, bars, restaurants, spas, meeting rooms, pre-functions, corridors, foyers, restrooms, fitness etc. – developed as required for final approval
* Demolition plans all areas – noted, dimensioned, and tagged for minimal questions during construction due to clarity and quality of information provided.
* Dimensioned construction plans – noted, dimensioned, tagged, elevation symbols, sections, schedules in a way that allows for minimal questions during construction due to clarity and quality of information provided.
* Finished Elevations with millwork, outlets, wall sconces, cabinetry, specialty finishes and treatments noted, tagged and indicated in a way that is clear for construction and fabrication.
* Finished RCP with ceiling materials, treatments and heights clearly called out and dimensioned where needed.
* Lighting that the layout has been designed in a way that is well located for drama, highlighting and special effects, task, and convenience of usage and operations and that is also designed to meet energy codes and project budget.
* Knowledge of types of lighting, applications, energy requirements, lamping and appropriate light spread.
* Skilled at researching finish materials and learning about their required applications as well as installation requirements so that the information can be noted in depth on the drawings.
* Can analyze photos and sketches of cabinetry and millwork and determine fabrication technique; then draw comprehensive details and sections so it can be fabricated with few questions from the fabricator achieving the desired effect.
* Proven ability to create comprehensive finish schedules, lighting schedules, door and hardware schedules that include enough information for quality installation and ordering with few questions of clarification by installers.
* Independently researches codes including Fire, UBC, ADA, Health to insure all items and designs meet or exceed minimum code requirements.
FF&E Specification Requirements
* Proven ability to independently produce a set of quality specifications and issue a book that require few questions from outside agents, that deliver quality products at the level intended, that are within budget and meet operational needs.
* In depth knowledge of the Major Manufacturers and their products, fabrication techniques, finish requirements and ability to deliver quality products on schedule and per budget.
* Highly skilled in designing: Custom Lighting, Carpets, Fabrics, Wallcovering and has an in depth knowledge of process and procedures to insure Manufacturers interpretations of our designs meet ILLY DESIGNS level of intended quality, is delivered on time, within budget and meets operational levels of durability.
* Is an expert at reviewing shop drawings and samples to insure drawings and finishes match ILLY DESIGNS specifications.
* Can interpret photos of ‘like” FF&E and draw custom furniture/lighting/ fabric and carpet designs that are detailed and noted in a way that require little clarification from outside agents.
* Has an expert knowledge of durability codes, fire codes and operational needs on product being designed and specified.
* Has an expert knowledge of fabrication techniques for drapery, bedding, pillows and knows how to achieve a wide array of designs ranging from contemporary to formal classic; and is then able to create detailed specs for fabrication.
* Can quickly locate and select items due to in depth knowledge of products and vendors.
* Understands and demonstrates the need for open and direct communication both verbally and in writing
* Understands and demonstrates the value and need to keep all team members informed of status of project and deliverables.
* Keeps open communication with all team members, monitoring work, lending feedback, redlining corrections and reiterating/teaching the approved processes and procedures that are to be followed .
* Regularly reviews and checks sets of their team deliverables for accuracy, efficiency and thoroughness insuring team is delivering a high quality product.
* Leads team meetings to insure all team members are participating and lending feedback. Motivates them and pushes them to bring ideas and solutions to table.
* Demonstrates a highly organized and systematic approach to producing a project. Understands the necessity to keep team and project tasks lists updated and complete.
* Demonstrates a high degree of Time Management skill and constantly seeks to streamline processes and procedures to increase quality and efficiency.
* Keeps Management team apprised of all project or HR issues that impact team dynamics or project goals.
* Support project team for weekly updates and assist teams with ‘What If’ scenarios to review alternate methods.
Participates in meetings for the purpose of:
1. Overview of each project reviewing progress made to date
2. Discuss upcoming deliverables and deadlines
3. Discuss concerns, challenges and issues to help negotiate and formulate best solutions and strategy for success
4. Discuss any client/construction issues and updates that could impact deliverables.
* Regular coordination with project teams ensuring communication is flowing adequately, and questions and concerns are addressed.
* Mentoring Intern and Junior Design Staff regularly acting as trainer and teacher in:
* Professional growth and communication skills in dealing with Clients/Vendors including proper use of forms, meeting notes, timesheets, transmittals etc.
* Organization of project files and storage systems.
* CAD standards.
* Time management.
* Judgment, critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
* Lending direction and feedback on specific project needs and concerns such as detailing, sections, demolition etc., teaching them how to problem solve and find options.
* Teaching basic knowledge of construction methods and standards, terminology, product installation and millwork/cabinetry fabrication needs.
* Teach ‘Uniformed Building Codes’ and Fire and Life Safety and ADA Codes.
* Construction Documents production needs, layouts and requirements for permit.
* Willingly take on the role of “Subject Matter Expert” in those areas that s/he is highly versed in (e.g. “CAD Guru”).
* Act as a positive role-model to others and support the Team/Firm Culture.
* Holds team and individuals accountable to deliver upon commitments.
* Has proven capability to troubleshoot problems on site and make quality recommendations to correct and move project forward without compromising design intent. Ability to hand sketch solutions on site that take into consideration all the areas that will be impacted by changes applying sound critical-thinking skills.
* Consistently follows ILLY DESIGNS processes and procedures for tracking changes during construction, issuing addendums, clouding drawings, documenting transmittals, responding to RFI in 48 hours or less and organizing project files so that they are readily accessible to all members of the team.
* Is experienced in both renovation and new construction and is comfortable and confident in the role as “lead of the project” in outside team meetings with Clients, Client’s Management Team, Architects, Engineers, Contractors, Purchasing Agents, Signage Contractors. Participates in group conversations as a valuable member, lending feedback, troubleshooting, brainstorming, offering technical information that is well founded utilizing knowledge of Hotel, Residential, Commercial, Retail Industry and Design Industry trends and approaches.
* Makes sure all meetings are documented with meeting minutes and copied to all members involved in process, keeps updated Addendum log and RFI log as well as updated and organized project binders.
* Holds agents accountable to deliver quality work performed in a way that is consistent with ILLY DESIGNS documentation, by following through on all potential problems, quality issues, fabrication problems until they are resolved 100%.
Technical Skill Set:
* Advanced skill in CAD and Architectural Desktop – includes: layering, FTP coordination, Rendering and 3-D Applications. Demonstrates a expert level of skill, works quickly and efficiently with high degree of accuracy .
* Construction Knowledge.
* Skilled at fluently discussing methods of construction and correct uses in Interiors and Installation methods for: blocking, moisture barriers product, millwork joinery, anchoring, sealing, ceiling treatments, finishing details, slab needs/leave-outs, railings, painting, wall covering, various flooring installations, stone fabrication, tile patterns and grout details, sheetrock finishes, plaster, stucco, foam, MDF, fiberglass trims, metal work, millwork, textures, doors and windows, bars and cabinetry, paneling, mirrors etc. and then apply this knowledge by making appropriate recommendations for applications.
* Has demonstrated a proven skill in researching and selecting appropriate as well as stylish architectural materials and finishes that are in line with budget, usage and meet design goals of project.
* Has demonstrated ability at managing and monitoring onsite installations in a CA context by spotting any problems such as wrongful applications, messy work and any departure from approved CD plans – then following proper protocol in team correspondences to insure problem is corrected and team alerted immediately to issue at hand so it can be corrected. Tracks through resolution.
* Understands mechanical system and basic needs including ductwork, thermostat locations, air returns and output grills and locations, baseboard heating, sprinkler needs types of heads, basic code knowledge and required locations, HVAC units; to insure coordination with design.
* Understands Architectural and Structural needs such as beams, columns, bearing walls tying elements to structure: and understands when these professionals need to be called in to consult with ILLY DESIGNS team in order to insure our design is viable and what modifications may need to be made. Has a good basic sense of what can and cannot be done based upon structural limitations or requirements
* Has developed a good knowledge of product cost and availability to insure they fit within set budgets and schedules and applies that knowledge to project. Knows approximately what specific applications costs and considers these options when developing DD/CD applications and treatments.
* Understands electrical systems, panels and existing power availability, conduit, power and cabling needs for; TV, phones, internet connections, electronic door locks, lighting, hairdryers, bathroom fans, makeup mirrors, restroom accessories such as hand dryers etc. has a basic knowledge of circuitry so that switching plans are accurate and load limitations considered.
* Proven ability to layout and select, detail and specify appropriate fixtures and hardware including restroom partitions, plumbing, grab bars, built-in trash receptacles, paper towel dispensers, door hardware, cabinet hardware; then note and document for proper installation and ordering. Show’s a sound knowledge of ADA and UBC codes in these areas.
* Hotel Industry: Operations Knowledge • Can speak in Hotel Industry terminology about occupancy, ADR, REV-PAR, IT and the overall hotel technology required. Understands operational needs of housekeeping, room service, laundry, sales and catering, meetings and conference rooms, food and beverage, spa and fitness – and can communicate and analyze problems with Client team by using this knowledge by offering sound ideas and reasoning based upon the industry needs.
* Follow trades and reads articles about what is being tried in other markets and the success and failures to educate self so that ideas can be applied to own work and ideas.
* Openly shares ideas and knowledge with team and Client to enhance the project. • In depth knowledge and experience producing sets of quality commercial Construction Documents.
* Mature and well-balanced individual. Responds in a logical and rational manner under stress or/and pressure.
* Honest; with high personal values and ethics.
* Comfortable stepping up and taking action when needs arise; decision-maker • Motivated to succeed and always seek opportunity for improvement of self and team in improving knowledge, expertise and industry awareness.
* Is dependable to sets goals for self and team following through to completion.
* Creative and strategic problem solver; ‘weighs’ options, then plans strategy for execution with predetermined fallback position.
* Projects self-confidence to others and confidence in team.
* Mentor: Enjoys sharing knowledge with others and watch them grow.
* Organized, systematic and thorough.
* Works well in a collaborative team environment.
* Responsible and accountable for own actions and teams.
* Creative in nature; likes to explore and learn from new experiences. Adventuresome.
* Has demonstrated a high level of professional integrity by taking pride, ownership and responsibility for own work as well as team member’s work. Has set high expectations, for self and team and pushes to achieve them.
* Proven track record of achieving goals in a deadline-based industry demonstrated by a track record of taking charge and pushing forward to get the job done under intense pressure and often challenging situations. Regularly shows the ability to seek out and finds solutions to problems as they come up while maintaining overall control under fire. Proven track record of achieving goals in a deadline-based industry.
* Values training, new challenges and opportunities to develop own self and advance own skill set while continually raising the bar to a higher level of performance demonstrated by making a concentrated effort to absorb lessons learned and then applying this new knowledge to own work moving forward.
* Projects self-confidence to others and is comfortable speaking and presenting in a group setting in a convincing, articulate and polished manner that reflects expertise and industry knowledge.
* Willing shares knowledge and ideas with others; helping others to improve their own skills and expertise.
* Maintains a positive, open ‘can do attitude’ to staff, team and Client, acting in a friendly and helpful manner while utilizing “great customer service skills”
* Can be depended on to deliver a quality product that meets or exceeds ILLY DESIGNS and Client goals for success.
* Understands the business side of Design from both a ILLY DESIGNS perspective and the Client perspective and delivers accordingly.
* Shares ILLY DESIGNS Vision and Core Values for growth and excellence.
* Dresses in a professional manner and behaves in a way that reflects Firm and Clients expectations of ‘professionalism.
If you feel that you meet the qualification above and you’re keen in exploring the opportunity, please send your updated resume by clicking the button below